Tuesday, June 8, 2010

CSA Week 1

The Pick List for Week 1:

Green Leaf Lettuce
Mesclun Mix
Watercress
Napa Cabbage
Spring Garlic
Spinach
Kale
Scallions

I am so excited at the start of the harvest season. I felt like a kid at a birthday party on my first pick-up day. My friend, who I am splitting the share with, gave me a tour around the farm (well, not the whole thing - just the areas the customers frequent). She showed me the barn where we get our weekly bushel and introduced me to Wendy, the share manager and beekeeper. Wendy seems to be on first-name basis with all the share holders. We shopped the farmer's market, where we get a discount on our pick-up day.

The farm is non-certified organic. They care about soil health and good produce. They raise chickens in pastures with portable hen houses. The produce for the farm share are harvested the same morning as pick-up!

Lucky lucky me.

No comments:

Post a Comment