Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mexican Chicken Salad with Black Bean Salsa

It was my turn to host book club and our choice of the month was Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. With a book like that, I wanted to stick to a main dish that mostly vegetables and was seasonal. I wanted it to be one dish and filling. In addition, I had a gluten-free member attending. Nigella's Mexican Chicken Salad fit the bill perfectly.

I found it is easiest to shred the chicken by hand; I used skinless, boneless chicken breasts that had been cooked in an oven and cooled before shredding.

I had never made anything with jicama before. I wasn't even pronouncing it correctly before this recipe. I made the salsa first so the flavors could marinate.

Mexican Chicken Salad with Black Bean Salsa

For the Dressing:

1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup sour cream, reduced-fat
3 Tbsp lime juice
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1/2 tsp table salt
pinch of black pepper

Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. It can be kept covered in the fridge for several days.

For the salad:
2 1/2 cups shredded chicken
1 lb jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
4 scallions, finely shredded
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
3 cups shredded romaine lettuce

Put all the salad ingredients into a bowl, spoon over the dressing and toss with tongs to get everything coated.

Tomato and Black Bean Salsa:
1 15 oz can black beans, well rinsed
2 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp salt

Mix everything. If it's too hot, you can take the edge off with a teaspoon of sugar.

Assemble the salad with the salsa on top and decorate with scallions and cilantro.

Thankfully, I had some of the dressing leftover. It was so delicious. I had it on a salad a few days later and also used it as a dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment