Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Green Smoothie

It sounded strange when first suggested, but the Green Smoothie is my new favorite breakfast. I'd love to use my kale for other purposes, but the kale never lasts past Wednesday morning once I tried this recipe.

Green Smoothie

2 or more fruits
raw rinsed greens (like kale, spinach, chard, etc)
fruit juice or nectar
dab of honey
ice (optional)

In a blender thoroughly mix the fruit and juice. Banana is a great emulsifier. Other yummy fruit additions can be frozen or fresh mango, fresh oranges, nectarines, peaches, strawberries, and raspberries. Add the ice till well chopped. Fill the blender to the top with loosely packed greens and blend until incorporated.

The best version I've made so far included strawberries, raspberries, banana and kale with orange juice for the liquid.

Later in the week, a second attempt at a green smoothie using collard greens was not quite as good. Collard greens are a little too spicy or peppery. Not a good combination. At least I could feel good about getting my raw greens in!

No comments:

Post a Comment