Sunday, July 11, 2010

Kale Chips

I've been wanting to try this recipe, but I use all my kale for smoothies. I bought extra kale this week and had enough to finally try it. The oven was hot this morning while roasting some veggies for a breakfast side dish and I used it for the dual purpose of making a salty snack for later in the day.

Kale Chips

1 bunch of kale
Olive Oil
Seasoned or plain salt

Preheat the oven to 350 deg. Line a non-insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil. Remove the kale leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite-sized pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry with a salad spinner.

Drizzle the kale with ~1 Tbsp olive oil. I have spritzer, so I spray mine on without measuring volume. I likely use less than 1 Tbsp with the spritzer. Sprinkle with salt.

Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 min.

My friend warned me they were easy to overcook. I erred on removing them a little early, and they were perfect.

I hesitate to call them chips; they are so frail. They have an interesting taste and would fix a salt craving, but they certainly couldn't be used to scoop any dip. Crushed, they might make an interesting topping for a baked dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment