Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pesto

I had great success storing the basil I got over a week ago.

When I brought home the share, I placed the bunch of Basil in a vase with water, wrapped it in a wet paper towel, covered it with a plastic bag and stored it in my fridge. It stayed as fresh as the day I picked it up. A few of the flowers even blossomed.

I used little bits of it here in there for lemonade, pasta dishes and a sandwich. But now, it's just beginning to show signs of wilting. Before I waste any of it, I'm making a pesto. You can even use the flower blossoms in the pesto.

Basil Pesto

2 cups of basil leaves
2 Tbsp pine nuts
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree. Scrape down the sides a few times as you go. Add up to an additional 1/4 cup of olive oil as needed.

For storage, spritz the top with olive oil to keep it nice and green. Cover tightly.

When you are ready to use the pesto, stir in some parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment